Science Shepherd A TOS Review

Daddy T and I have been looking for a science curriculum that would fit our family. Popper is very interested in learning about anything to do with science. The problem is that most everything that I was finding either wasn't biblically based or required a lot of planning on my part. We were given the opportunity to review Introductory Science by Science Shepherd through The Old Schoolhouse Review Crew. I was excited at the idea of this curriculum and crossed my fingers that it would fit our need.

I allowed Popper to watch the sample video lesson online. He was instantly hooked! He began begging to start working on it before it even shipped.  

Science Shepherd is a complete science curriculum written from a biblical standpoint. This is an online video based curriculum that has a student book to work along side the videos. 
Introductory Science has 2 levels to choose form- A and B. We chose level A, which is recommended for ages 6-8. It covers several topics including:

-Science Skills and Tools
-Meteorology
-Geology
-Oceanography
-Plants
-Astronomy
-And More!

There are 35 weeks of lessons broken down into 5 days a week. Which seemed a bit daunting to me at first. We tend to only school 4 days a week, but I decided to give it a try. I am so glad that I did! 


Science Shepherd Review


Each day starts with a short 2-5 minute video about that weeks topic. The videos are filled with slides, colorful pictures, and demonstrations. I love that the videos are short and to the point. It was really good at keeping Popper's interest and helping him to retain the information provided.
I was very happy, as I watched the first few videos with him, to hear the videos teach that God's word is true and that He created all things! I knew that this was a winner for us!



After watching each day's video, there are 3-5 questions about the information introduced in the video. I loved that Popper could answer these on his own and even go back to the video if he couldn't remember. It really allowed him to be independent in his learning. There are also a variety of crossword puzzles, word searches, and matching puzzles throughout the week. The whole lesson from start of video to questions and activity takes about 10 minutes! That's it! Super simple and he is learning so much!




Each week there are 1 or 2 activities that help reinforce the lesson. These also have instruction videos to walk you through them. There is a supply list of things that you will need broken down by weeks so that you aren't caught off guard. These were probably Popper's favorite part because it allowed him to be hands on in the learning process. 
The boys loved making animals out of clay the first week. The lesson reminded the kids that God was thinking of them when He created that animal. He already knew that Brother Bear would love the monkey and Popper would love penguins! 



Popper is still working his way through the lessons. Currently, he is learning about meteorology. He is teaching me all sorts of fun facts as he progresses. I love that he is enjoying learning about science. 

He can't wait to get to the lessons on volcanoes! He wants to create his own and watch it explode. Science Shepherd has really helped Popper become an independent learner and enjoy science on a new level. I love that he can work through his lessons while I am helping Brother Bear and Sister with their lessons. The freedom that it has brought is amazing! 






Science Shepherd Review



You can find Science Shepherd around the web:



You can find more reviews for Science Shepherd by the Crew by clicking the link below:


Science Shepherd Review

Comments

Popular Posts