When the Waves Distract.


Last week at church, our pastor had a special teaching time for the children. It was on Matthew 14:22-31. In this passage Jesus walks on water, but the part that got my attention was my favorite disciple, Peter, and his response. You see, I understand Peter. In fact there are times that I feel like he was included in the Bible for me. I am impulsive, all-in, foot-in-mouth follower, who, if I was incredibly honest with you and myself, fear that I too could deny Him, and do sometimes with the way I choose to live my life (that part breaks my heart)!

Here we find an impulsive Peter, bold enough to ask Jesus to let him come out on the water with Him, if it was indeed Jesus. Peter's faith is big, I believe that his intentions were in the right place. He knew enough about Jesus to know that He was able to allow Peter to join Him. Because of that big, bold faith, Peter walked on water. Can you imagine the high? I think this would have been a major 'mountain top' moment!

"But when..." verse 30 takes the turn. This is where I most relate to Peter. Stepping out in faith, is not the hardest part for me. The distractions of this life, that is where I get messed up. When my focus gets on my circumstances, when I over think another situation, that is when I, like Peter, begin to sink. Sometimes I recognize it immediately and cry out to my Savior. Other times, I allow the other stuff to clog my thinking for too long and that creates a whole lot of mess!

Last Sunday, I knew this story for the kids, was actually just for me! My Savior was reaching down into my pit of mess and once again pulling me to Him. I let the distractions of life, the opinions of others, the 'rational' thinking keep me from walking in obedience. The waves of life had distracted me. It was my time to repent and get things right again!

Being this open and vulnerable is not easy for me. I don't like sharing my mess with anyone. But I know that I cannot be the only one that struggles. We all need a Savior! I am so grateful for Jesus and His sacrifice for me! I can't begin to explain the peace that followed when I let go of my yuck and stepped back into His will and calling on my life. I know that the road ahead won't be easy. In fact, there will be so many days that I want to quit, days where those big waves try to blur my thinking. I also know that I can fix my eyes on Jesus! 

He even gave me verses in His Word to remind me:
Hebrews 12:1-2 NIV
"Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before Him endured the cross, scorning its shames, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God."

Comments

Popular Posts