Create the Memories!

I wrote this as spring was beginning to bloom. I have spent the summer praying over beginning this journey of writing about our days again. There is so much going on in our world and so much time has passed. At some point I'll back track and fill in some gaps. Until then here are some thoughts from my heart to yours!

Hours turn into days, 

Days turn into weeks,
Weeks into months.... and so time passes and before you realize it the years add up. Suddenly, you look around and your children are all reading, writing, and exploring independently. 

Where did those precious years of reading Five In A Row books and creating hours of fun with arts and crafts? They have been exchanged for chapter books and nature studies and watercolor journals. Those days that I spent overwhelmed wondering if my children would ever read, if I was enough to teach them the building blocks that they needed to learn, are becoming a distant memory. These days are spent full of learning together about herbs and plants, searching the creek banks for the newest hatched tadpoles, and listening to the chickadee that warns us as we venture too close to her nest. 

I'm not sure exactly when the tides turned. I do not remember the first day that I realized that I was no longer their primary teacher. I just woke-up one day and understood that I had become an assistant to them, helping only when asked. This may very well be my favorite season so far. I love watching them grow and learn on their own. They each have their own ideas and goals for life which are directing their learning! It's such a beautiful time!

Don't get me wrong, there are still struggles. We still have formal reading and math lessons. We still struggle with habit training and loving our neighbor. I just know that these are life long lessons that can take years to teach and instill. (I should know, I'm still the student to these lessons!)

I write this as an encouragement to other mommas out there. I see you! This journey of being a mom, teaching our children it's not an easy one, but it is so worth it! Keep fighting the good fight! I will leave you with 3 verses that are repeating in my head as I write this:

First, Proverbs 3:5-6 (NKJV) "Trust in the LORD with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding; In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths."

Trust Him mommas! He cares more about those precious children of your than you do (as hard as that may be for you to comprehend)! Even though you struggle, commit your teaching journey, your mom journey to Him. He is so faithful! He will not let you down, He will direct your steps down these paths that you have been called!

Second, Proverbs 22:6 (NKJV) "Train up a child in the way that he should go, And when he is old he will not depart from it."

He has given us instructions to train up our children. If He gives instructions, He will give grace and wisdom and strength to carry out those instructions. Just lean into Him! He loves you so much, dear momma! Allow Him to be your strength as you faithfully carry out the task at hand.

Finally, Galatians 6:9 (NKJV) "And let us not grow weary while doing good, for in due season we shall reap if we do not lose heart."

I know that this job is exhausting, the sleepless nights, the constant training and redirecting. It can seem never ending! This verse is such an encouragement that we will reap a harvest for our efforts! Keep teaching them, training them, loving them, and trusting the Father to give you strength for the journey! Don't lose heart! Remember the famous quote by Gretchen Rubin:
 "The days are long, but the years are short."

This season will not last forever! Enjoy it, embrace it, and cherish every sweet moment! Before we know it, these will be memories in both our minds and the minds of our children! What do you want to look back and remember? Begin creating that life today, right now! Go on, go build a fort, search the creek bank, read a good book (remember to do the voices), teach them about God and His unfailing love! Create those memories that you will both cherish!

Comments

Popular Posts