Friday Foodie: Falafel




For my first Friday Foodie post I wanted to share what has become one of our new favorite meals: Falafel! If you had told me a year ago that my family would actually eat this dish, much less that it would become their favorite, I would have laughed at you. However, here we are! 

I found this recipe on Pinterest.  I drew inspiration from Minimalist Baker and Pure Ella. Both of which had great recipes that I was inspired by, but I also chose to use gluten free panko and Daiya parmesan cheese in my recipe. 

I think this is one of the prettiest meals that I have made in a long time. Also, one of the only meals that never has leftovers! That is enough for me to continue making falafel for my family. Another big bonus is this is an affordable meal for a larger family! 




My final recipe:

2 cans of chickpeas
2 Tbsp of juice from canned chickpeas
2-3 cloves of garlic
Gluten Free Panko bread crumbs
1 Tbsp potato starch 
4 oz of Daiya Parmesan cheese
2 tsp turmeric
2 tsp cumin
1 Tbsp dried Parsley
1 Tbsp dried Cilantro
1 tsp salt

I mixed all the ingredients (minus Panko) in my food processor until a textured. Then I added Panko until it was dry enough to form into patties.

I heated a cast iron skillet on medium heat and added a drizzle of oil. I then cooked the patties for 2-3 minutes on each side until browned. 

I served mine on a lettuce wrap with avocado sauce, diced tomatoes, and chopped red onions on top. 

The Avocado Sauce Recipe:

3-4 avocados 
1/2 c mayonnaise
1 tsp of lemon juice
salt to taste

I pureed all the ingredients in my food processor and chilled for a few hours. 

This is actually a very filling meal. There are cheers all around when I tell the kiddos that we are having Falafel (they call them chickpea fritters) for dinner. I must confess that I flopped this meal a couple of times before it was perfected because I tried to cut corners or forgot to add the potato starch. I hope that your family enjoys falafel as much as mine does when you decide to give it a try!

Comments

Popular Posts