Becoming His Help Meet Week 3







I have had some very interesting opinions and questions presented to me since I began this study. I thought that I was just going to lead, through scripture, how I made changes in my marriage. This week I feel led to dig into scripture and 'back-up' my beliefs, if you will. I think it will help before we continue on.

With that said, here goes!


Genesis 2:18-20 
"18 And the Lord God said, It is not good that the man should be alone; I will make him an help meet for him.
19 And out of the ground the Lord God formed every beast of the field, and every fowl of the air; and brought them unto Adam to see what he would call them: and whatsoever Adam called every living creature, that was the name thereof.
20 And Adam gave names to all cattle, and to the fowl of the air, and to every beast of the field; but for Adam there was not found an help meet for him.

Here we find that God says that man needs a help meet. There are a lot of opinions on what the original translation is of the words help meet. I have dug and found many different explanations. Here is my personal opinion (please hang with me on this) 

Help:  Merriam-Webster :to give assistance or support to
Meet: Merriam-Webster: to come together for a common purpose.
          several commentaries define this as 'like or same'


I believe that in the beginning, God did create us to assist and support our husband and that we were created alike or the same. I believe in the beginning that it was an even companionship. 

However, the submission part comes later on. Look with me in Genesis 3:16. Adam and Eve have eaten of the fruit and God is disciplining them. This is for Eve, "16 Unto the woman he said, I will greatly multiply thy sorrow and thy conception; in sorrow thou shalt bring forth children; and thy desire shall be to thy husband, and he shall rule over thee."

Did you catch that? Read it again! There it is! That is where the submission, in which the man is over the wife, came into play. As part of the punishment or curse that God gave Eve, he made her husband to rule over her! 

There is more! The phrase of the song "Trading My Sorrows" came to mind that says "I am blessed beyond the curse." The Spirit spoke to me in that moment. It was like a light bulb went off! Even though it was part of Eve's discipline, a curse if you will, we can be blessed by it!!!

Just like when we submit our will to God's will, we end up with great rewards because He knows best. The same with marriage, God blesses us with a happier marriage, family, and life when we get in line with His will by submitting to our husbands.



Isn't our God amazing! 

"the Lord thy God turned the curse into a blessing unto thee, because the Lord thy God loved thee." Deuteronomy 23:5

I pray that you have the same enlightenment that I did when I found this. I pray that the Spirit will move in you to understand that God's plan is always best. 
See you next week!

Comments

  1. This has been a really great series. thank you for sharing your heart. This is a subject close to my own heart. I appreciate your insight and thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! It has become so important to me this last year as well!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts