Homeschool Check-In

It's been a while since I have written a homeschool post. I thought it might be time to check in and give an update on how things are progressing.

We have learned a very valuable lesson....
After a long weekend of family time, the house tends to get messy. I found that the house was simply too distracting to me. I was having a hard time focusing on my children because I was too focused on the mess. I had this brilliant idea, clean on Mondays. I have found that it is the perfect time to teach life skills that they need. We spend the day getting things back into order. It has allowed us to focus on our other studies throughout the rest of the week.

The boys are loving learning.
 I am taking 2 weeks to complete one week of our curriculum because of all the fun stuff listed. It works out great. The boys are getting their memory verses truly memorized and are able to recite all 3 that we have learned. They are getting to hear the Bible stories multiple times and the lessons are proving very valuable during times of reprimand.

(please ignore the chair on the table, Sister is in a climbing phase)


Mr Popper is my worksheet kid. I am not a fan of the traditional worksheet. (hence the reason that I homeschool) I prefer the hands on approach of learning while living. However, God has blessed me with a child that is stretching me a little. This past week I printed off a packet of worksheets on writing numbers. I only printed 1-10, thinking that that would suffice. I mean 2 per day seemed like a realistic number for him. On Tuesday, after he finished all 10 pages in one setting, I realized that I might have to order actual book curriculum for this boy of mine!

Brother Bear is actually taking me by surprise. He already knows most of his shapes and colors through his Leap Pad games. I am finding out that he is NOT a worksheet kid. He loves to paint or do anything messy, and he loves video games (the Leap Pad). I have made several busy bags for him. He will do the activity once, may be twice, and then he is bored. I am going to have fun with this one too. I am thinking abcmouse.com or other learning sights might come in handy with his schooling.




Of course, while the boys are learning, Sister wants to be right in the middle of it. I have been using manipulative toys and magnet boards are a good way to keep her busy in her highchair.

It is shaping up to be an exciting year.




Comments

Popular Posts