Creative Nature Study by The Old Schoolhouse- A Review

I was given the opportunity recently to review the "Creative Nature Study" by The Old Schoolhouse Magazine.  Their Review Crew has reviews for all sorts of products and curriculum. I was amazed by the wide variety of stuff that they reviewed it's not just books. If you are looking for ideas for your school days, you should definitely start there! 

When making the transition back to unschooling, I knew that I would need to incorporate more outside time with the Crunchy Kiddos. The same nature walks looking at the same leaves and trees had become almost boring to us. I needed to spice things up, try something new. I was drawing a blank. This book came at the perfect time!
Creative Nature Study is full of fresh ideas to help make nature more fun! I had not thought about packing a nature bag.There were so many ideas and resources that you could take with you on a walk to help make it more educational and fun.
I am a firm believer in the fact that nature studies are the best science curriculum that there will ever be! It is also one of the best ways to really see who God is. 
"The heavens declare the glory of God; 
the skies proclaim the work of his hands." 
Psalm 19:1
I want my children to grow up appreciating what God created. I want them to enjoy searching and learning about His creation. I just needed a little push to get me back on track. I needed some fresh ideas to help motivate me. This amazing book not only did that, it also included scavenger hunt pages that I could print off to help steer me and my children in the right direction. It gave us ideas of things to study that sometimes are forgotten about. 
I love that through nature you can even learn to be a better writer. The descriptive words that you use to describe all the sights, sounds, and smells help to create some very lovely creative writing assignments and poems. Here is a haiku that was written after a nature day:


"Fall"
by Popper age 7

Fall leaves are very pretty.
They always crack under feet.
Red, yellow, orange, brown, and green

The fall air is fresh.
It makes me feel cold sometimes.
It makes it rain leaves.

Squirrels collect acorns
to store away for winter.
They hide acorns in the ground.

Fall is beautiful.
All the colors of nature
make me want to smile.

I would encourage everyone to add a little nature to your lesson plans. If you are new to nature studies or are bored with the same old walks, this book would be a great resource for you. You can find it on The Old Schoolhouse's website! You will not be disappointed! 





Comments

Popular Posts