Everyday Homemaking- A Review


I love cooking and baking. So it should come as no surprise that I am always interested in trying new recipes. That is why I was really excited to get a chance to review Everyday Cooking by Everyday Homemaking. I received a pdf with my choice of a red or blue cover, I chose blue!

Everyday Cooking

Everyday Cooking is a cookbook written by Vicki Bentley, a homeschooling mom of eight. She used more natural, whole foods to cook with, that and the large family aspect is what drew me to this cookbook. She also includes sample menus, time saving tips, cooking skills checklist, and much more! I could not wait to get my copy printed out and bound! I also added tabs to mine to make it easier to find each section. I like the convenience of being able to flip to the specific section quickly.



My first recipe that I tried was zucchini bread. Our garden has produced so much zucchini this year that it is everywhere. I thought this would be a great way to utilize some of our overstock.  This recipe was pretty simple. I had made some similar to it before minus a substitutes, like applesauce instead of oil. I thought the bread turned out beautiful! The Crunchy Kiddos and Daddy T must have really enjoyed it too because it was gone the next day, and I made two loaves!


My second recipe was a basic muffin (I might have a weakness for bread products).  I was out of applesauce so I had to use oil instead. Also, I chose to add pumpkin and cinnamon into my mix, we are not big raisin fans so I skipped that additive. The recipe called for sucanat to sweeten the mix. I have to be honest, I had never heard of that before this book. I now know that it is an organic cane sugar. I chose to use her suggested substitute of plain white sugar. I also doubled the recipe because our family of 8 would not be okay with only 12 muffins!
They turned out beautiful and they were super moist. However, I felt that they were bland. I had to add honey butter to them to get the kiddos to eat them the next morning. I loved the simplicity of the recipe and how quickly I was able to put them together. I think with a few tweaks this could be my go-to basic muffin recipe. 

Overall, this cookbook is a great addition for any family looking to add a few new menu ideas, learn more about menu planning, or add new all natural ingredients to their cooking. I am looking to try her bread recipe next. I also would like to try my hand at making homemade ricotta cheese! I am sure there will be many more uses for this book in my future. I am glad that I was able to add it to my kitchen shelf!






Everyday Homemaking



You can connect with Everyday Homemaking on Facebook.



Other members of the Crew received a copy of Everyday Cooking or The Everyday Family Chore System. You can read about their experiences by clicking the link below:

Everyday Cooking and Chores Systems for your Family {Everyday Homemaking Reviews}
Crew Disclaimer

Comments

  1. Thanks so much for checking out some of the recipes -- take advantage of the large margins to make the recipes "your own" with your own tweaks! Thank you for your thoughtful review.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts