Shopping Fun

I went grocery shopping Monday at the local whole food store. It was quite an experience seeing the difference in everything! I have used my purchases to cook the last 2 days and I can tell you that I can definitely taste a difference!

First, I started with a very specific menu:

Breakfast options:


  • granola with greek yogurt
  • granola cereal
  • muffins
  • oatmeal pancakes with fresh fruit
  • bacon, egg, and cheese rolls in homemade bread


Dinner:

  • Monday-marinated chicken wings, fried potatoes, and snap peas
  • Tuesday- Pork chops breaded in parmesan cheese and whole grain bread crumbs, oven fried with garlic smashed potatoes and fried zucchini, tomatoes, and onion in a little vinegar
  • Wednesday- Garlic shrimp, with avocado orzo
  • Thursday- Beef roast, carrots, potatoes, onions
  • Friday-Bell pepper casserole (made with turkey and brown rice)
  • Saturday-Breaded Tilapia (oven fired) Spinach and carrots
  • Sunday- we eat at our small group
Snacks for the week included:

  • Fruit salad 
  • yogurt
  • hummus with fresh veggies
With my list in had I headed out.

 Let me start by saying that I am new to this whole food eating world, and I am going about it a little at a time. As I run out of something or need something, I buy natural whole foods or products. Eventually, my goal is to have my entire house clear of all things processed!

When I got to the store I realized that the produce was beautiful and had a price tag to go with it. I had to continually remind myself how much I was saving by not buying junk foods. I was able to shop for everything on my list and successfully spend less than what I usually spend each week! I was so excited!

A copy of my list:

  • zucchini
  • tomato
  • carrots
  • spinach
  • kale
  • snap peas
  • avacados
  • bell peppers
  • bananas
  • 2 lemons
  • apples
  • blueberries
  • mangoes (got them on sale)
  • strawberry flax seed granola
  • shredded parmesan cheese
  • organic greek yogurt
  • assorted organic fruit and yogurt
  • shrimp
  • 3lb roast
  • sugar
  • coffee filters
TOTAL SPENT: $72.89 ( my normal budget is $150, now bear in mind that I already had pork chips, chicken, orzo, potatoes and turkey at home that I had find on sale previously and stocked up on!)


It has been an adjustment for my family to get use to there not being 'quick' food and snacks in the house. I have to remind them that fruit and yogurt is quick and so much better for you. They are also always complaining about nothing to drink in the house, I remind them that water is so good for them and that there is ice in the freezer to keep it cold! We are learning! It will be a process, but I believe that it will be possible!

Comments

Popular Posts