School Days


That's right! It is fast approaching. Are you ready? If you had asked me last week, I might have cried.

I am both excited and scared for the new year. I will be teaching both C and D. I have been praying really hard for guidance. C is going to be on a K-1 level, which is between Kindergarten and 1st grade. D is in an early form of preschool. There is such a learning and maturity gap between the two of them that I was concerned on how to balance teaching them.
Last week, I realized that C was missing the structure that we have during the school year. I was originally going to wait to start until the 1st of September because of birthdays. However, with the recent realizations, I decided to try and start next Monday. Enter turbo planning mode! I have spent the last week reading and searching curricula for both boys. I am all about eclectic style. I mix-and-match according to what works and what I know will fit the child. That being said, I had a lot of work ahead of me.

I started with C. He was relatively easy because I had already been teaching him for a year. We are working through the following:

  • Math: a mix of Math Mammoth, and some other free printable sights. 
  • Reading: We are focusing on sight words, blends, and sounding out longer words. We are using a combo of BOB books and printables and small readers that we can check out from the local library. Also, I will be reading him books on a 2nd grade level to help with comprehension. He will be drawing and writing in his journal about each chapter.
  • Spelling: our sight words will be our spelling words, at least for the 1st half of the year. After that, ?
  • Geography: We are going to be learning about our city, county, & state. Then, we will move on to learn the rest of the states and their capitals.
  • Science: We will start with senses. I am hoping to cover animals, our body (eating healthy, caring for), and some gardening. 
  • Bible: See Below!!!
For some of these ideas in more detail, or to find the printables that I will be using, check out my homeschool board on Pinterest!

D was more challenging! I searched several different curricula to find one that would fit him. His learning style is so different than C's. Where C likes structured, sit-down, worksheet style, D is more hands-on, fun style. He wants to be involved with learning. After 2 days of searching, I found THIS!  Motherhood on a dime offers a free (yes, free) preschool curriculum. It is amazing! I can't wait until Monday to start! It is full of fun activities to keep D interested. Many are self-led, which allows me time to help C on some of his more challenging assignments! The Bible part is so perfect that I decided to use it for both boys! This way they are synced in at least one of their subjects!

Needless to say, God has once again proven Himself faithful! Instead of being scared and nervous to start a new year with 2 kiddos at my table, I am excited and counting down the days! I am enjoying every minute of planning their lessons. My mind is spinning with all of the ideas! 
I look forward to sharing pictures and stories with you through out the year!

Comments

Popular Posts